TFI Technology Forecasting for Asset Valuation
Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 1:00-6:00 pm followed by reception
Immediately preceeds the 10th
Annual TFI Communications Technology Asset Valuation Conference, January 28-29, 2015
Radisson Hotel, Downtown Austin, Texas
- Five Views of the Future & Alternative Scenarios
- Energy Applications of Technology Forecasting
- Expert Opinion Methods and Impact Wheels
- Applications of Forecasting to Depreciation & Valuation
- Introduction to Technology Forecasting: This session provides an overview of the field of technology forecasting including its history, toolbox, applications, and how it fits in with other types of forecasting.
- Forecasting Technology Substitution and Adoption: Technology substitution forecasts how fast new technology will replace old technology. We teach the basic models so that you know enough to do basic technology forecasts and understand forecasts by others.
- Expert Opinion Methods: This session covers the key methods—such as Delphi and nominal groups—that are used for forecasting and ideation.
- Practical Tips for Forecasting and Evaluating Forecasts: This session covers some of the practical issues that come up when you do a technology forecast. It also covers how you can independently judge the quality of a forecast, either for your use in an appraisal or in someone else's appraisal.
- Forecasting Technology Trends: The performance of technologies improve according to known patterns. You will learn how to use these patterns to forecast future improvements as well as how to be alert to breaks in the pattern.
- Technology Forecasting Applications: Communications, Energy and High Tech: In this session you will learn how technology forecasting can be applied to these industries focusing on real-world examples.
- Ideation with MiniTrends MindsetTM and Impact Wheels (Breakout Session): This session introduces TFI's MiniTrends MindsetTM that is designed to increase creativity, innovation, and success. Through an exercise you will also learn about impact wheels, an excellent discovery and exploitation tool, that should be in everyone’s toolbox.
- Depreciation & Valuation Forecasting Applications (Breakout Session):
This session teaches how technology forecasts can be combined with other forms of obsolescence to measure depreciation and value for appraisal and financial applications.
Organizations Who Should Attend
- Communications Companies (Telecom, Cable, Longhaul, Wireless, etc.)
- Equipment Manufacturers (Communications, Energy, Semiconductors, Computers,etc.)
- Energy Companies (Electric Power, Oil and Gas, etc.)
- Information Technology Companies (ISPs, Data Centers, Content Providers, etc.)
- Government Agencies (Regulators, Tax Assessors, etc.)
- Other High Tech Industries (Pharmaceuticals, Healthcare, Transportation, etc.)
Business Segments who should attend:
- Strategic Planning
- Network Planning
- Technology Planning
- Market Development
- Regulatory / Tax / Legal
- Depreciation and Assessment
3:00 -3:40 pm - Practical Tips for Forecasting & Evaluating Forecasts - Dr. Lawrence Vanston
3:40 - 3:50 pm - Break
3:50 - 4:10 pm - Forecasting Technology Trends - Robert Harris
- Ideation with MiniTrends - Dr. John Vanston and Carrie Vanston
- Depreciation & Valuation Applications of Forecasting - Dr. Lawrence Vanston
Some of Our Previous Attendees
|Advantax||American Appraisal||AT&T||AT&T Mobility|
|AUS Consultants||Arizona Attorney General Office||Baker Donelson||BCRI|
|Blankenship Resources||Capitol Appraisal Group||CHR Solutions||Comcast|
|CostQuest Associates||Dallas Central Appraisal||Deloitte||Duff & Phelps|
|Embarq||Ernst & Young||FTTH||FMV Opinions|
|Grant Thornton||Hiscock & Barclay, LLP||Hawley Troxell Ennis & Hawley LLP||Hill Ward Henderson Law Firm|
|KPMG||Law Offices of Peter Michaels||Level 3 Communications||Millinium Marketing|
|Qwest||Revenue Wisconsin||Satai Network||SC&H Group, LLC|
|Sprint/Nextel||State of California Board of Equalization||Tax Compliance Inc.||Thompson Reuters|
|Time Warner Cable||T-Mobile||TRCI||Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts|
What Attendees Say
"Thank you for putting on your seminars and conference. Although
I have used various TFI tables over the years and read several of your
publications, there is an additional and unique learning experience
to be had via the lectures and interaction with the audience and TFI.
Through the questions, comments, and answers one hears the issue presented
from a variety of perspectives and has the opportunity to put in one's
own words their own comments and questions to see if they understand
it or not, etc. One-on-one with the authors, the experts, a wonderful
Robert G. Strong, Tax Director
"Great program...information is timely and program ties together
well. Good for attendees with various background and interests. I highly
Jeffery S. Binkley, Managing Director
ONESOURCE™ Property Tax
"I found the insights on technology changes in-process and
planned and their current and expected impact on replacement of assets
most useful. Proper valuation must take into account technological externalities
that will diminish the value of the existing assets. The technological
innovations are having a such an impact that keeping up is essential.
This conference keeps me up to date."
Roger Grabowski, Managing Director
Duff & Phelps
Seminar Director and Presenters
Lawrence K. Vanston, Ph.D., President, Technology Futures, Inc.
Larry is an expert on the future of telecommunications and its significance to organizations and people. Since 1985, he has been the director and principal author of ongoing reports commissioned by the Telecommunications Technology Forecasting Group, presently comprised of AT&T, CenturyLink, Verizon, and Windstream. In 2013 the TTFG was expanded to the Communications Technology Forecasting Group to include cable television and wireless providers. Dr. Vanston is Editor of the CTFG blog and resource website and directs TFI’s popular TFI Communications Technology Asset Valuation Conference, now in its 9th year.
John H. Vanston, Ph.D., Chairman, Technology Futures,
John founded TFI in 1978, building the Austin, Texas-based company into a leading authority in custom research and technology forecasting. John's MiniTrends concept, designed to increase creativity, innovation, and success, is summarized in the award-winning book MINITRENDS: How Innovators & Entrepreneurs Discover & Profit From Business & Technology Trends and highlighted in TFI's annual MiniTrends Conference which he chairs. John is also the primary architect of TFI's Five Views of the Future™ Forecasting Framework.
Consultant, Technology Futures,
Most recently VP, Network Planning and Architechture at Time Warner Cable for 13 years, Bob has a unique 20+ year career holding leadership positions with service providers and with the equipment manufactures of telecommunication systems. He has extensive knowledge in the analysis, engineering, marketing and management of multimedia and networking technology products and services with experience in domestic and international markets.
Carrie Vanston, Vice President, Communications, Technology Futures,
As co-author of MINITRENDS: How Innovators & Entrepreneurs Discover & Profit From Business & Technology Trends, she brings a distinct real-world quality to MiniTrends activities, particularly in the purpose and social media areas.Carrie has many years of experience in public relations, marketing, and sales at TFI and in the entertainment industry. She is director of TFI's annual MiniTrends Conference.
REGISTRATION: For TFI Communications Technology Asset Valuation Conference and Pre-Conference Seminar
Earn up to 12 Texas CE credits and/or up tp to 13 National Registry of CPE Sponsors credits.*
Thursday, January 29, 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Earn up to 3.25 Texas CPE credits and/or up to 4 National Registry of CPE Sponsors credits.*
TFI is a licensed Continuing Education provider with NASBA (Natl). Attendees can earn up to 4 CPEs for the Seminar and up to 13 CPEs for the Conference. Sponsor ID: 112763
We are licensed for two TDLR (TX) categories: Property Tax Professionals (PTP) and Property Tax Consultants (PTC). Provider ID: 1851. We have course approval for PTP, but are still waiting for approval PTC. PTP Conference attendees can earn up to 10.5 CEs for Conference and approx 3 CEs for Seminar. Assuming PTC is approved, the CEs will likely be similar.
For more information see: http://www.tfi.com/sems/TFI-Technology-Forecasting-Seminar.html#tuition
Earn Continued Professional Education Credits: Technology Forecasting Workshop (Jan 27) and TFI Communications Technology Asset Valuation Conference (Jan 28-29). TFI is registered with TDLR and NASBA through 2014 and is waiting to hear on approval and number of credits for the 2015 Seminar and Conference (watch site for updates).
*Technology Futures, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
CPE: In accordance with the standards of the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, CPE credits will be granted based on a 50-minute hour. Fields of Study: Special Knowledge & Applications and Taxes. Instructional Delivery Method: Group-Live. Program Level: Basic-Advanced. No Prerequisites required. No Advanced preparation required. National Registry of CPE Sponsor ID Number: 112763.
A limited block of rooms is being held under "Technology Futures" until January 7, 2014 at $169 plus tax for a regular room.* To book a regular room, call (800) 395-7046 or reserve online. *There are also a limited number of suites available for $209 plus tax; for those, please contact hotel.
To receive updated seminar details, dates, and registration information for future sessions, please click here.
Please contact Helen Mary Marek at info @ tfi.com or call us at (800) 835-3887 or (512) 258-8898 with any questions regarding the conference.
“... a unique learning experience to be had via the lectures and interaction with the audience and TFI."
Robert G. Strong,
Tax Director, AT&T
"Based on TFI's knowledge, skills and experience, I strongly recommend their annual Technology Futures Asset Valuation Conference to anyone who is involved in assessing telecommunications equipment or anyone involved with telecommunications in some form or another."
Raul Reyes, Business Personal Property Supervisor
Dallas Central Appraisal District
"This program is a must for anyone charged with determining fair market value for telecom assets."
Rick Masching, ASA
"Great program ... information is timely and program ties together well. Good for attendees with various background and interests. I highly recommend it."<
Jeffery S. Binkley,
"… Proper valuation must take into account technological externalities that will diminish the value of the existing assets. The technological innovations are having a such an impact that keeping up is essential. This conference keeps me up to date."
Duff & Phelps