Communication Technology Update and Fundamentals: 13th Edition
[ordering online? -- please see our return/refund policy]
Since 1992, the most up-to-date book on communication technologies!Editors:
August E. Grant, Associate Professor, College of Mass Communications and Information Studies, University of South Carolina.
Jennifer H. Meadows, Associate Professor, Media Arts Option, Department of Communication Design, California State University, Chico.
In association with Technology Futures, Inc.
Companion Website for Recent Developments
Description [back to top]
Communication technologies surround us in every part of our lives: via television, web, blogging, mass media, and much more. How do people in business keep up with the latest and greatest trends, and how do they differentiate good information from bad information? How do they get help analyzing information and coming to conclusions about trends that will impact their businesses and business decisions? How do they consider the environmental and sustainability issues surrounding communication technology? Communication Technology Update and Fundamentals answers these essential questions. It's for professionals and students working in telecommunications, including electronic mass media, digital signage, computers, consumer electronics, games, satellites, and telepresence. The best of the best minds on these topics all come forward here, each in their own chapter, to report on, analyze, and make recommendations, for the new edition of this definitive guide to new technologies.
New to the 13th edition:
- New coverage of historical perspectives on communication technology bring the ideas and concepts to the forefront, providing a thoroughly grounded approach designed to appeal to professors looking for more of the “why's” than the “how's” of communications technology.
- New chapters on digital cinema, mobile commerce, digital television, cinema technologies, e-books, home video, digital audio, and telepresence.
- As always, every chapter is updated to reflect the latest trends on the topic.
- Brand new! Instructor's manual with testbank and sample syllabus.
- Website - brand new for this edition. Chapter-by-chapter additional coverage of technologies and further resources. Continually updated.
Communication Technology Update and Fundamentals gives students and professionals THE latest information in all areas of communication technologies The companion website offers updated information to this text, plus links to related industry resources. New focus on mobile commerce, digital television, cinema technologies, digital audio, ebooks, and much more
What Readers Say About Communication Technology Update and Fundamentals [back to top]
"Thorough and up-to-date, yet concise enough to allow students to quickly grasp the essential elements of a host of interrelated communications technologies."
--David Gunzerath, Dept. of Communications and Theater Arts, Old Dominion University
Communications Technology Update and Fundamentals is the best broad-based book for exposing students to the many subtleties of Information Technology (IT). This work fills a void that once required many texts and sources to fill. Staying knowledgeable and current in IT is like painting a moving train, and this book is a fabulous effort that brings the reader into the present."
--Joseph Screnci, School of Communications, Hawaii Pacific University.
Table of Contents [back to top]
- Section I: Fundamentals
- Chapter 1: The Communication Technology Ecosystem, August E. Grant, Ph.D.
- Chapter 2: A History of Communication Technology, Dan Brown, Ph.D.
- Chapter 3: Understanding Communication Technologies, Jennifer H. Meadows, Ph.D.
- Chapter 4: The Structure of the Communication Industries, August E. Grant, Ph.D.
- Chapter 5: Communication Policy & Technology, Lon Berquist, M.A.
- Section II: Electronic Mass Media
- Chapter 6: Digital Television & Video, Peter B. Seel, Ph.D.
- Chapter 7: Multichannel Television Services, Jennifer H. Meadows, Ph.D.
- Chapter 8: IPTV: Video over the Internet, Jeffrey S. Wilkinson, Ph.D.
- Chapter 9: Interactive Television, Cheryl D. Harris, Ph.D.
- Chapter 10: Radio Broadcasting, Gregory Pitts, Ph.D.
- Chapter 11: Digital Signage, Jeffrey S. Wilkinson, Ph.D. & Janet Kolodzy, M.S.J.
- Chapter 12: Cinema Technologies, Michael R. Ogden, Ph.D. & Maria Sanders, M.F.A.
- Section III: Computers & Consumer Electronics
- Chapter 13: Personal Computers, Chris Roberts, Ph.D. . & Michael Andrews, M.A.
- Chapter 14: Mobile Commerce
- Chapter 15: E-books, Ashley F. Miller, M.F.A. & Larry Webster, B.A.
- Chapter 16: Video Games, Brant Guillory, M.M.C.
- Chapter 17: Home Video, Steven J. Dick, Ph.D.
- Chapter 18: Digital Audio, Ted Carlin, Ph.D.
- Chapter 19: Digital Imaging & Photography, Michael Scott Sheerin, M.S.
- Section IV: Networking Technologies
- Chapter 20: Telephony, William R. Davie, Ph.D.
- Chapter 21: The Internet, Tim Brown, Ph.D. & George Bagley, M.A.
- Chapter 22: Social Networking, Rachel A. Sauerbier, M.A.
- Chapter 23: Broadband & Home Networks, John J. Lombardi, Ph.D.
- Section V: Conclusions
- Chapter 24: Conclusions…& the Future, August E. Grant, Ph.D.
Companion Website [back to top]
Communication Technology Update and Fundamentals now offers a Companion Website which provides updated information on the technologies covered in this text, and links to other Internet resources!
Pricing/Ordering Information [back to top]
Published by Focal Press, an imprint of Taylor & Francis Group, an informa business.
July 15 2012, Bound Soft Cover, 330 pages, ISBN 978-0-240-82456-7 (pbk), ISBN: 978-0-240-82466-6 (ebk)
Call for volume discounts. For academic adoption, contact Focal Press at (800) 366-2665 or visit www.focalpress.com.
"Thorough and up-to-date, yet concise enough to allow students
to quickly grasp the essential elements of a host of interrelated communications
Dept. of Communications and Theater Arts,
Old Dominion University
"Communications Technology Update and Fundamentals is the best broad-based book for exposing students to the many subtleties of Information Technology (IT). This work fills a void that once required many texts and sources to fill. Staying knowledgeable and current in IT is like painting a moving train, and this book is a fabulous effort that brings the reader into the present.quot;
School of Communications, Hawaii Pacific University